CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, November 30, 2009

Lonely Holidays

My boys and I just spent our first Thanksgiving without my husband since his retirement from the service. This time he is not overseas or on some extended deployment, he is in the regional veteran's hospital. Our circumstances this year allowed me to recall the tremendous amount of flexibility we acquired during my husband's military career. I was thankful.

Thankful that my husband will recover and be home before Christmas...
Thankful that I do not have to spend sleepless nights wondering about the fighting overseas...
Thankful I won't be awakened by an early morning call for a urinalysis...
Thankful some higher-ranking NCO will not knock on my door to come inspect my house to make sure my children have a bed to sleep in...
Thankful for the benefits that we enjoy because of my husband's (and the family's) years of not being together for birthdays, anniversaries, and other important events...
Thankful for the many people we were privileged enough to call friends...
Thankful for all the joyous reunions...
Thankful for the different cultures we were privileged to enjoy...
Thankful for the high points and the low points...

My prayers are for those men and women who are lonely this season--May you find something to be thankful for and in that thankfulness find a splash of joy.

Blessings to you all,

the PTSD Widow

No comments:

Post a Comment