CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Armed Forces Day

I'm so excited! Tomorrow morning my sister and I leave for San Francisco. I was beginning to believe the day would never get here.

Yesterday, my family and I spent the day at the local army base for Retiree Appreciation Day and Armed Forces Day. I know the crowds, the every-hour cannon firing, and all the people in military garb were really tough for my husband. He managed to keep himself controlled. Later on, however, he was anxious and suffered with nausea and vomitting. Though I'm sorry that his body reacts that way to certain stressors, it was nice that he didn't get angry or yell.

I wondered how many veterans or families were walking around on base that day who might have benefitted from www.FamilyofaVet.com. I thought of the tremendous support and information available through their website. Next year, perhaps, I'll be sitting at a booth during the Armed Forces Day celebration to spread the word. I wonder who I'll need to contact to get the ball rolling on this idea.

Our boys discovered the Civil Ware re-enactment. One of the boys stood by the weapons in a Civil War era uniform for much of the day. He looked so handsome. I believe the boy is officially a self-declared geek. (My son hugs me and laughs when he affirms his geekiness. I love it!!) Both boys had a wonderful time talking to people, hanging out, and engaging in all the events on base. The best part of the day for them?? There were people giving away free boxes of Girl Scout cookies. "I mean, Mom, can the day get any better?"

I need to get ready for a busy day, so I'll close for now. I may not be able to blog until next week--San Francisco, here I come!!

Blessings to you all,
the PTSD Widow

No comments:

Post a Comment